Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Lizzard Wizzard: Lizzard Wizzard (2013)

Electric Lizzard

You might be tempted to assume Lizzard Wizzard is just an Electric Wizard clone, but there are some important differences. For one, this is a wizzard--two z's--not a wizard. Also, rather than being electrical, it's herpetological. These are important distinctions.

They do share a similarly heavy, fuzzy sound. And a mostly sluggish pace. I have reason to suspect that both Electric Wizard and Lizzard Wizzard, in fact, might be drug users. It's possible! It's reasonable to believe that's what some of the lyrics are referring to, anyway. But there are other differences as well.

First, the songs are shorter. Most of the tracks on Lizzard Wizzard run about 5 minutes. The vocals are harsh, as opposed to the drug-haze of Jus. And . . . really that's the only difference. Besides the extra z and the reptilian/electronic distinctions, which are, as I mentioned, key.


Bottom line is, this is good stuff, even if it isn't original. Since this is name-your-price on Bandcamp, there is no reason not to get it.

The band has also seen fit to embed the lyrics on the MP3 files, so you get the wonderfully literary gems like "Reptile Dysfunction," the entire lyrics of which are
Bongs, bongs, bongs
Reptile dysfunction
To be honest, I'm not quite sure whether "Total Handjob Future" is utopian or dystopian. And the band's clear hatred for irresponsible dog owners in "Dogs Die in Hot Cars" is what pushed me over the edge when I couldn't quite decide on a final score for the record.

The Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha. By my count there are 48 bands with "Wizard" on the Metal Archives, a paltry 9 with "Wizzard," and 0 with "Wizzzard" in their name. When will doom bands up the ante, and do we even know whether human drugs have any influence on liz(z)ards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind = blown. The possibilities are literally endless.

    There are only two bands with "zzz" in the name, both Russian.

    And in doing further research, I think Brazil's Exxxekkkutttor has every other band beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now that I know "Wizzzard" isn't taken, I guess I know what to name my own hypothetical stoner doom band.

    I do dig that album cover, and as you say this is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete