Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bar Review: Blue Blood Brewing Company

Local Working Class

I prefer to drink my beer out of a can. Cans are metal. I don't really need any other reason. So I was excited to see that a brewery out of Lincoln, Nebraska was using cans.

Blue Blood Brewing Company started up last year. The section of their web site that explains their background is "coming soon," so I can't really tell you much more than that. Except that I can practically see the place from the apartment where I've been living the last 6 months (until later this week). Seriously, as the crow flies, this would be a five minute walk, if that.



They currently produce two brews, 834 Happy as Ale (4.6% ABV / 35 IBU) and 1327 Pod's ESB (5.6% ABV / 37 IBU). These are, obviously, both ales. The 834 has a brighter, hoppy flavor (hops grown in Nebraska), but the ESB is much stronger. They are both very easy drinking, which seems to go well with the brewery's name. It's working-class stuff, but its character is of the little-publicized favorite of the local working folk rather than the mass-produced garbage of the masses who don't know any better. It is a bit more expensive than working-class garbage, at about $8 for a 6-pack of 12-ounce cans, but it's worth it.

The Verdict: Rather than trying something fancy, they've decided to just do the simple stuff, but do it well. That's to be respected. I give them both 3.5 out of 5 stars. When they get better-established, I can't wait to see how they experiment.

1 comment:

  1. According to Hank Hill, beer from a can always tastes 2 degrees cooler than beer from a bottle. So, I guess that could be a second reason.

    ReplyDelete