Sunday, September 01, 2013

Välikäsi v. Come

What?

v.

Anyone who knows punk music well would probably find this matchup untenable. Philadelphia's Psychic Teens have nothing at all to do with Finland's Sokea Piste (I believe their name means piss-soaked). But I know so little about punk that this is perfect.

First, Sokea Piste. Välikäsi has been sitting on my iPod since March, and I've listened to it occasionally several times since then, each time coming away with almost nothing to say about it. I just don't know how to talk about punk music. It's catchy hardcore, with a raw production. It has some gang vocals, but not to an offensive degree. It also has a psychedelic side, and just a hint of deathrock (note the title track). It's good stuff, and much more intelligent than the tough-guy stuff that I know is an unfair stereotype of the genre.


Psychic Teens, on the other hand, are much more in the post-punk vein of things, with a much stronger psychedelic side (yeah, check that album art) as well as some shoegaze and deathrock elements, like the gothic-affected vocal style. I love me some deathrock, the basslines are cool, and "Less" is just super-duper.

I have to find in favor of Come. Their style is just more up my alley. But that's not to tear down Sokea Piste--they have given me a lot of enjoyment over the last few months. As always, take my opinions on punk music with a grain of salt.

The Verdict:
Välikäsi: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Come: 4 out of 5 stars




1 comment:

  1. Less is a great song. Sokea Piste sounds pretty fun; most interesting so far is http://sokeapiste.bandcamp.com/track/imbesilli-j-ttil-inen which is more post-punk compared to their regular 80s hc punk revival sound.

    You'd probably appreciate Tragedy (crust punk): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YcRCobO1M8

    ReplyDelete