Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Summary Judgments, Volume 7

Are These Even Reviews?

Here's another round of summary judgments, where I make a snap judgment about something before I feel like I really understand it. As always, under the title I list how much of the record I listened to.

Katatonia: Dethroned & Uncrowned (2013)
the whole album, once


I caught about half of Katatonia's show when they played with Opeth, but beyond that, I've never listened to them. Having never heard their most recent album, I thought I would have a unique perspective on the acoustic version of it. But mostly, I just thought it was OK, and not that interesting.




Slussenanalys: Livets spindlar (2013)
both songs


So maybe I'm not starting to understand noise rock. Slussenanalys sounds like 80's hard rock just slightly askew. That actually looks awesome on paper, but I didn't get much out of the music.



Marcato: Artifact (2013)
2 out of 6 songs


Marcato sound like they're at least aware of Isis, but mostly they were weaned on Stone Sour and Linkin Park, and want to make ballads in a style somewhere between those two. For sentimental teens who might be writing secret poetry.



Black Magician: The Pursuivant EP (2013)
the whole thing, many times


It took me a while to figure out why this one wasn't clicking with me. The Pursuivant begins like Cathedral, who aren't my favorite doom band, and then eventually becomes a fun jam session for the guys in Black Magician. Fun for them, that is.



The Lurking Corpses: 23 Tales of Terror (2003)
the whole thing, once


The Lurking Corpses sound basically like The Misfits if they were more metal, but lesser songwriters. It's not too bad, actually.



HHR

No comments:

Post a Comment