Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Solefald: Norrønasongen - Kosmopolis Nord (2014 EP)

I don't quite know how to categorize Solefald, and this new EP doesn't make it any easier.

I was first introduced to them eons ago by The Metalcast, so they were a pretty early addition to my extreme metal library. (I almost wrote "oeuvre," but I'm trying not to be an asshole.) I had picked up their Icelandic Odyssey albums, which had a couple of fantastically killer songs and a whole lot of head-scratchers. But then out of nowhere they released Norrøn livskunst, which was sort of Sigh-meets-Kvelertak-meets-Helheim, and easily the most underappreciated album of 2010. Then, dormancy.


So when I saw the new EP, I was excited, but didn't know what to expect. This time, they've collaborated with a host of other musicians to create psychedelic, droning, synth-laden tracks. In simplest terms, it's Viking metal mixed with Horseback. I don't know how much of an audience there is for that, but I should definitely be in it.

Now unfortunately the level of quality is a little more on par with the Icelandic Odyssey albums (and indeed, tracks here purport to be a part of that odyssey). It's good, but it's not "Scream at everyone to tell them that Marrow of the Spirit and Eparistera Daimones aren't the only albums you should be talking about" good.

Still, it gets me excited for the soon-to-be-released full-length.

The Verdict: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment