Friday, January 20, 2023

Nier: Automata The End of YoRHa Edition

Nier: Automata is the second game I finished in 2023. It’s an action RPG blended with a bullet hell shooter both in the traditional scrolling style and twin stick, in different places. 

 I started it several months ago, but took a break after the first ending, and then another after I lost half an hour into the second story and had to start it over. I ended up switching to easy at this point just to see the story, which really pulled me in by the time I got to the second ending. I did turn off all the auto combat chips, though, so I could still get the satisfaction of fighting even if I was rarely in danger of actually dying. 

Visuals, performance, and story are all excellent. Although I have to say I saw the big twist coming very early, it was satisfying to see it confirmed. 

The combat is fun but when there are a lot of enemies it can get difficult to keep track of what’s going on, and you can take cheap shots as a result. It’s also frustrating how the lock on function doesn’t work as well as you would expect. 

The many fetch quests available don’t really add much, so I only completed about a third of them. 

After you get most of the endings it opens up a chapter select option so you can jump in at any point and complete quests or follow other choices to see where they go. This is a very nice touch that hardly seems to fit the same ethos that would have let you die an hour into the game and have to start over. 

All in all, it’s an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment