Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Across Tundras: Sage

Review

SageSage is dry. Across Tundras dream of cool, clear water, but do not find it. It's the soundtrack of walking through the Nevada desert, hallucinating from exposure.

I love the dark Americana vibe of bands like Man's Gin, Wino, and Dax Riggs. I'm not even sure I've mentioned it before, except for my glowing reviews of Smiling Dogs and Adrift. Across Tundras compellingly fuse that vibe to the stoner metal / desert rock of Kyuss.


The Colorado-to-Tennessee transplants have been around since 2004, and have released a whopping eight full-lengths plus two EPs. With a sound this good, it's hard to believe these guys have been under my radar.

Sage captures a great vibe, and puts it into great songs with a great production. It feels entirely analog, and it's beautifully done. Somehow, it sounds sun-bleached.



The Verdict: Like Bloodiest, Across Tundras has successfully captured the dark Americana vibe, and made it metal. I give Sage 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really interesting to me. I think I'll have to look into them.

    ReplyDelete