Sunday, March 18, 2012

Town Portal: Vacuum Horror (2011)

Vacuums Freak My Dog Out

Instrumental prog rockers Town Portal asked me to review their free-to-download debut Vacuum Horror.

I listened to a couple songs from it, and it reminds me of either Pelican or Russian Circles, or both. I don't remember exactly which one, just that I didn't really care for either of those bands. If that's your thing, and if you think it's clever to title an interlude song "Segway" like the personal transport, instead of "segue" like a thing that connects two other things, you ought to check this out.

For me, it doesn't make much of an impact. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. So I'm issuing summary judgment against the band on this one. Nifty album art, though.

2 comments:

  1. I could sit and listen to this with no problems, but I can't see myself going out of my way to play it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how I feel about it. Some people go nuts for this stuff, though, and it really seems to be a good example of the style. And by the style, I mean the narrower version of post-metal practiced by Russian Circles and Pelican, not the Isis/Neurosis style.

    ReplyDelete