Thursday, April 09, 2015

Black Pussy: Magic Mustache (2015)

Hipster Mustaches Are Categorically Not Magical

Reportedly, this band’s name is taken from the original title of the Rolling Stones’ “Brown Sugar.” I’ll forgive them for that. As terrible as I think the Stones have always been, I still think ridiculously offensive names like this are great. I think it gives you a sense of their personality, too. And if that doesn’t seem like a positive thing to you, then I’m not sure you and I have much to discuss about music.

So a couple of years ago I finally decided to check out Hawkwind. That was Lemmy’s previous band, if you’re not familiar, and they play a style of trance-inducing weirdness known as space rock. If you don’t know them, check out “Magnu.” Shit’s killer. Black Pussy take that as their starting point, as the opening synths should tell you.


To that, they add some Monster Magnet. If you don’t hear the riff pulled from Powertrip in the excellent “Happy,” you’re not paying attention. But you don’t really have to pay attention to enjoy this.

Magic Mustache is full of loose, irreverent rock with a sort-of-retro vibe. It’s mid-paced with sometimes drawled vocals and enough solos to satisfy. The choruses are memorable enough, but the one thing this is lacking is an obvious standout, some great track that makes it a can’t-miss. There’s no “Space Lord,” no “Magnu.” But on most days, I’ll take a “Farrah Fawcett” and be content.

The Verdict: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment