This weekend, I finished reading the first book in Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun series, The Shadow of the Torturer. I'll do a full review of the series when I'm finished with it, but a few things jump out at me immediately that demand mention.
1. I can't tell whether it's science fiction or fantasy.
2. How the hell has there not been a movie made of this?
3. Parts of it are grim as fvkk.
4. The main character was raised in the guild of the torturers, which is exactly what it sounds like.
5. Like The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings, the book is ostensibly written by a major character from the book. He uses an execution as a metaphor for writing a book.
I'll be detouring from the series to read a book that was sent to me for review, but if this intrigues you, stay tuned.