Monday, April 21, 2014

Pet the Preacher: The Cave & the Sunlight (2014)

Denmark's Volume Dealer?

About 10-12 years ago, I was really into southern-sounding metal. Black Label Society was my jam--this was back when they were fucking awesome (and had just begun the downhill slide*). I doodled the BLS logo and "SDMF" (Strength-Determination-Merciless-Forever) on scraps of paper at my shitty night job. I even listened to Zakk Wylde's Pride & Glory album on at least a weekly basis.

To this day, I still think Deliverance-era COC is the real COC.


So I'm inclined to go for some souther-sounding sludge, whether it's from North Carolina, New Jersey, Poland, or Denmark. Pet the Preacher is just that.

The opening track calls to mind Baroness. They follow that with the excellent, driving "Let Your Dragon Fly," which could be a Red Fang single. And then the record just drags through a handful of low- to mid-tempo Corrosion of Conformity ballads. Which is extremely frustrating--not America's Volume Dealer frustrating**, but still disappointing. It picks up again with the catchy "What Now" and "I'm Not Gonna," but that's too little, too late to truly save it.

If you're a die-hard fan of this style, like I am, then by all means check these guys out. Otherwise, maybe not.

The Verdict: 3 out of 5 stars



* If you don't believe me, go back and listen to their pre-Blessed Hellride albums.
** Despite its well-documented flaws, I still like that record. I don't care what anyone says.

No comments:

Post a Comment