Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Educated Horses

I got the latest Rob Zombie album, Educated Horses, for my birthday from my wife. You've probably heard the first single for the album, "Foxy Foxy," on the radio. I did, but I thought I was listening to H.I.M. Don't get me wrong, I like the album, but it's certainly no The Sinister Urge. He's mellowed out a bit, but before anyone cries "sell-out" I'd like to point out that it's been five years since he had a real new album, and people change a lot in their tastes in five years. Note also the big change between White Zombie's stuff and any of Rob Zombie's solo work--nobody was crying "sell-out" in 1998 when Hellbilly Deluxe came out.

It's definitely worth picking up, especially if you're a fan of Zombie. But the problem with releasing an album when your name is Rob Zombie is that it's going to be compared to other Rob Zombie albums. So, that's what I'm going to do. On a scale of 1 to 10:
The Sinister Urge: 9.8
Hellbilly Deluxe: 8.5
Educated Horses: 7

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with your ratings, but with one stipulation: all of his music slowly approaches its maximum rating the closer to halloween it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I think you may be right (although in that case Astro-Creep: 2000 might be a 13). But when you go there it becomes oh so much more difficult. Offhand, I would rate something like Korn's Korn as a 10, but if you try to compare it to Metallica's Master of Puppets, well, then, the scale's limit becomes meaningless. And then you have arms escalation and it leads to the total destruction of mankind, so, I don't think we want to go there.

    ReplyDelete