Sunday, June 22, 2014

Orcultus: Orcultus (EP 2014)

Not Enough

Review by Metallattorney. He is the law.

Seven inch vinyls are kind of an odd concept. It is kind of strange to me that there are still bands releasing them, though typically they are released by groups who have not previously released anything and just have a couple of songs ready. There is such a limited amount of space available that releases rarely last more than ten minutes. Nevertheless, I have a number of them.

Anyway, this is all pretty irrelevant to the actual review. I am sure a lot of metalheads like vinyl, even these small things. But it does not really have much at all to do with the band here. Orcultus is a fairly new band, as was likely from the format of this recording. This is just their second release and their first one was a similarly short recording. Orcultus plays a style of black metal most similar to the Swedish style of the early 1990's. And being from Sweden themselves, that is not terribly shocking.


Orcultus's style remains completely mired in the sounds of Marduk, Dark Funeral, and others. It is an extremely raw and primal sound. It is a sound that many black metal bands these days have abandoned. Yet Orcultus still stands by that sound. For that, I at least, am impressed. I have mentioned many times that I am much more of a fan of the vile and hateful black metal sound, the dark sound popularized in the early 1990's. That is real black metal to me. And Orcultus plays that style. I am looking forward to a full-length from them.

As with any short release like this though, my principal complaint is that it is just too damn short. I want to hear more. Unfortunately Orcultus has not really released anything more.

THE VERDICT
I give this release 3.5 out of 5 stars.



http://www.foreverplaguedrecords.com/

1 comment: