Monday, March 24, 2014

Shroud of the Heretic: Revelations in Alchemy (2013)

That Moment When . . .

That moment when you're lost in a long-forgotten crypt and you think you're never going to make it out alive.

Maybe I'm turning into an old person faster than I realized, but I find it ever more amusing to mock the trends of the young. This time, it's the "That moment when . . ." trend. Sadly it seems that incomplete thoughts may be the deepest form of social interaction most of that generation is capable of. If I understand it correctly, these too-short-to-even-be-vignette sub-observations are put out there as something for others to relate to. In that spirit, we can all relate to this one.


You're best going to understand it if you've listened to Vasaeleth. Truthfully, Shroud of the Heretic don't offer anything different, and I don't mind that at all. It's sometimes doomy, mostly mid-paced, and very filthy death metal. It smells of long-sealed graves recently cracked open, the vocals distant but still too close for comfort. The only negative I can point out is there is no single track enough to raise the dead (a la "Gateways to the Cemetery of Being"), but the LP played end-to-end at full volume under the right signs should do the trick.

This is familiar. I like that feeling.

The Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment