Friday, April 01, 2011

Bring Me the Horizon: There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Let's Keep It a Secret. (2010)

Heavy Week, Part 6


Review

Bring Me the Horizon is the subject of a whole lot of hate in the metal world. But I'm going to chalk that up to the general closed-mindedness of the average metalhead. I listened to There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Let's Keep It a Secret. out of sheer morbid curiosity, since everyone seems to think it's the worst album ever released, and I was pleasantly surprised.

There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Lets Keep It a Secret.You might recall that I like long titles, like the titles to Demilich songs and the name of Lightning Swords of Death. The brilliantly titled There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Let's Keep It a Secret. is actually a great album, never mind the fact that having two sentences in the name kind of interferes with discussion. The album is, first and foremost, one of the heaviest to come out in recent memory, which is only enhanced by their judicious use of keyboards to provide contrast. Both a visceral scream and enchanting clean vocals are to be found, as well as some of the best riffs and tightest drumming on either side of the Atlantic. I usually hate breakdowns, but the ones on here get my blood pumping so I just want to karate kick everything in sight.

I don't really know how to describe why I like There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Let's Keep It a Secret. so much. I just can't stop banging my head. I advise you do the same, while checking out this badass video, featuring all kind of kvlt like neck tattoos, vampires, and killer haircuts:



The Verdict: I can't understand the hate. There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Let's Keep It a Secret. is incredible. Not quite perfect, but damn close. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

UPDATE 4/2/2011: April Fool's!

7 comments:

  1. Did I have you going at all?

    Honestly, I couldn't make it through that video. That was every bit as bad as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I pretty much had it pegged as soon as I read the title. I've been on the lookout for people's April Fools pranks though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now in actual physical pain. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to post a scathing comment about how you just lost complete creidibility, then, ohhhhh....... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There you go, you had someone going. I did try to listen to that song because I can usually find something enjoyable in most metal, but that was just horrendously awful in ways I cannot even begin to describe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you had me going for a minute because I've never heard of this crap. Although I kinda figured it out when you were going on about the keyboards, and definitely by the 'kvlt neck tattoos.' Very funny

    ReplyDelete