Thursday, October 20, 2005

10-Year-Old Hero Saves Chihuahua

In Omaha, a ten-year-old girl jumped on top of a pit bull to save her four pound chihuahua. You can read about it. I think that's awesome, and when I was that age I probably would have done the same thing. Today, I make a point to wear my steel-toe boots when I go to the dog park, just in case. Those can probably take down a pit bull in 1-3 kicks. If it was a Great Dane or a Saint Bernard, however, I don't know how much good it would do--but I'd probably go for it anyway.

This is not to say that I don't like pit bulls. I think they get a bad rap. (Actually, Shetland sheepdogs are a whole lot meaner by nature, and everyone thinks they're perfect.) The girl who lives upstairs from Laura owns a pit bull mix, and Doja (as she's named) is a sweet little thing, and Russell's girlfriend. The sad part is that Doja's owner lost her roommate, and has to move out next week because she can't afford the rent. :(

2 comments:

  1. (Actually, Shetland sheepdogs are a whole lot meaner by nature, and everyone thinks they're perfect.)

    What? Shelties meaner by nature than pitbulls? Oh, for goodness sake, they are not. I have known a few shelties in my day. No sir. Not meaner than pitbulls. Shelties are wonderful dogs. Now if you want to compare Lhasa Apsos to pitbulls, you might have a case.

    BTW, I like your blog. I discovered it through Language Guy's blog. I've been following your blog for a few of weeks now. I especially appreciated your post on Roe V. Wade. It was enlightening for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! I'm glad that people enjoy my blog.

    As for the comment about Shelties, it is based on my experience, and I should have qualified it. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of Shelties attacking people, I have known them to attack other dogs. The herding breeds in general don't seem to get along well with non-herding dogs very well, in my experience. On the other hand, all my experience with pit bulls has been positive, with the only exception being one that liked to pick fights with bigger dogs at the dog park. Luckily, Russell is smaller, so I didn't have to worry too much.

    Thanks for commenting, too.

    ReplyDelete