Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Remote Control

Sci-fi comes to life:
A special headset was placed on my cranium by my hosts during a recent demonstration at an NTT research center. It sent a very low voltage electric current from the back of my ears through my head _ either from left to right or right to left, depending on which way the joystick on a remote-control was moved.
I think that's pretty scary myself.
What possible good could come of this technology? From reading the story, it doesn't sound like they can force you to move your arms or do anything in a coordinated way. If it could, it would be a lot scarier. Is this the next big thing in traffic control? We'll have self-driving cars and remote control pedestrians. No one will ever bump into anyone else ever again. Of course, let's not forget that companies could buy the rights to have people sent to their stores. This kind of research shouldn't be done at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment